July 10, 2010
THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE (Opens July 15)
The cast and filmmakers of Walt Disney Studios’ “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” had a blast creating the fantasy adventure about Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage), a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan who recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé.
Get a load of these fun trivia about the newest Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster:
· The Phantom. Balthazar Blake’s vehicle of choice is very rare 1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom. Its engine, appropriately known as the “Merlin,” helped propel Spitfire aircraft for Britain , which helped win World War II. An exact replica of the real Phantom was created for stunt sequences. During filming in the streets of New York City , the Phantom proved to be a huge tourist attraction.
· The Chrysler Eagle gargoyle comes to life in two varieties: the full-size, motion-base, computer-controlled version constructed by Academy Award®-winning special-effects coordinator John Frazier, and a CG version from visual-effects supervisor John Nelson and Asylum Visual Effects.
· Chinatown. The colorful Chinese festival sequence in which a parade dragon comes to life was filmed over the course of two weeks on Eldridge Street , in the heart of New York ’s Chinatown . More than 2,000 people from the local Chinese communities showed up for an extras casting call for 500 available spots.
· Nikola Tesla. The inventions, philosophy and spirit of controversial and brilliant inventor Nikola Tesla hung over the entire movie, and by an amazing coincidence, the last day of filming fell on what would have been his 153rd birthday. And the company also filmed at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine on Manhattan ’s 110th Street , where Tesla received a state funeral attended by more than 2000 people.
· The Encantus, the film’s book of spells, weighed a mighty 75 pounds. But there were other versions created, including a 10-pound duplicate and a waterproofed floating version for the so-called “Fantasia” sequence.
· Every single page of the enormous Encantus had to be aged by experts in medieval bookbinding, with methods ranging from sanding the papers to wetting them with tea.
· The seven domains in the Merlin Circle include Space-Time, Motion, Matter, Elements, Transformation, Mind, and in the center, the Forbidden domain—Love. The multi-colored flames that shoot out of the Merlin Circle in the underground lab were created by the special effects team like a gigantic stove-top burner, with fire rods six inches below the deck in a water tank.
· The Coat. Costume designer Michael Kaplan and his team created 10 exact copies of Balthazar Blake’s long leather coat, and all of Balthazar’s rings were custom made as well.
· Arcana Cabana. Set decorator George DeTitta Jr. collected no fewer than half a million objects of escalating weirdness for production designer Naomi Shohan’s Arcana Cabana set, including a prosthetic leg, disembodied doll’s heads, shrunken heads, skeletons and a “unicorn skull.”
(Opening across the Philippines on Thursday, July 15, “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International.)
20th Century Fox 3D About ABS-CBN Academy Awards Action Adam Sandler Alex Pettyfer Aliud Entertainment Amanda Seyfried Andrew Garfield Angelica Panganiban Angelina Jolie Animated Animated Movies Animation Anna Faris Anne Curtis Anne Hathaway Anthony Hopkins APT Entertainment Araneta Coliseum Astoria Plaza Awards Axinite Digicinema Ayala Malls Beauty Ben Affleck Ben Barnes Ben Stiller Billy Bob Thornton Blake Lively Blog Blog Update Blogging Tips BlogSpot Blue Sky Studios Brad Pitt Brooklyn Decker Bruce Willis Bryce Dallas Howard Bulacan Cameron Diaz Captive Cinema Carey Mulligan Catherine Hardwicke Catherine Zeta-Jones Channing Tatum Charlize Theron Chris Brown Chris Hemsworth Chris O'Donnell Chris Pine Chris Rock Christian Bale Christina Aguilera Cinemalaya Clint Eastwood Colin O'Donoghue Columbia Pictures Comedy Community Contest Crystalsky Multimedia Dan Aykroyd David Spade Denzel Washington Diana Agron Diane Lane Dianel Lane Dingdong Dantes Disney Disney Digital 3D Dream Works DreamWorks Animation Drew Barrymore Dwayne Johnson Eastwood Mall Elmo Magalona Emily Blunt Emma Roberts Emma Stone Emma Watson Emo? Enchanted Kingdom Eric Bana Erik Matti Ethan Hawke Eva Green Eva Mendes Evangeline Lilly Events Fantasy Fashion Focus Features Food Fox Searchlight Pictures Free Movie Tickets Games Garrett Hedlund George Clooney George Lucas Georgie Henley Gerard Butler Glorietta 4 GMA Films GMA-7 Greenbelt 3 Happy Health Horror IMAX Indie Films Inspirational Jack Nicholson Jackie Chan Jaden Smith Jake Gyllenhaal James Bond James Cameron James Franco. James Marsden Jamie Foxx Jason Sudeikis Javier Bardem Jay Chou Jeff Bridges Jennifer Aniston Jesse Eisenberg Jodie Foster John Goodman John Malkovich John Travolta Johnny Depp Jonah Hill Josh Duhamel Josh lucas Judy Ann Santos Julia Roberts Julianne Moore Julie Anne San Jose Justin Long Justin Timberlake Katherine Heigl Katy Perry Ken Jeong Kevin Costner Kevin James Kristen Bell Kristen Wiig Laguna Legendary Pictures Lena Headey Liam Neeson Love Luis Manzano Makati Makati Shangri-La Mandaluyong Mandy Moore Manila Manor Super Club Maria Bello Marikina Mark Wahlberg Market Market Marvel Matt Damon Matt Dillon Maya Rudolph Megavision Inc Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Picture Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures MGM Michael Douglas Michelle Rodriguez Mila Kunis Movie Festival Movie Marathan Movie Review Movie Soundtrack Movies Music Neill Blomkamp New Line Cinema Newport Cinema Newport Mall News Nicolas Cage Oliver Jackson-Cohen Olivia Wilde Ortigas Oscars Owen Wilson Pasay Pasig Paul Bettany Paul Giamatti Penelope Cruz Penélope Cruz Personal Peter Jackson PhotoShop Pictures Pierce Brosnan Pinoy Movies Pixar Politics Quezon City Ralph Fiennes Random Ray Stevenson Reese Witherspoon Regal Films Resorts World Manila Richard Armitage Rizal Robert de Niro Robert Downey Jr Robert Downey Jr. Robinson's Metro East Robinson’s Galleria Rockwell Rodrigo Santoro Russell Crowe Ryan Reynolds Salma Hayek Sam Worthington Samuel L. Jackson Sandra Bullock Sarah Geronimo Sci-Fi Selena Gomez Seth Rogen Shangri-La Plaza Shangri-la Plaza Mall Shia LaBeouf SM Cinemas SM Mall Of Asia SM Marilao SM Megamall SM North EDSA SM San Lazaro SM Sta. Mesa SM The Block SM Valenzuela Solar Entertainment Sony Pictures Sports Star Cinema Sullivan Stapleton Taylor Kitsch Taylor Schilling Technology Television The Podium Thor Thriller Tina Fey Tom Cruise Tom Hanks Touchstone Pictures TriStar Pictures TV TV5 United International Pictures Universal Pictures Valenzuela Vanessa Hudgens Vhong Navarro Vice Ganda Village Roadshow Pictures Viva Films Walt Disney Animation Studio Walt Disney Pictures Walt Disney Studios Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International Warner Bros Will Ferrell Will Pouter Will Smith World Trade Center Zac Efron Zach Galifianakis Zachary Levi